Thursday, June 16, 2011

On Muscles, Not Motors


A little shout-out here to my favorite bike shop in Montpelier, VT: Onion River Sports.  They were a large part of my cycling life when I lived in Vermont.  They called the ambulance after my first big crash five years ago and repaired the damage to my bike.  Four years later they helped me retrofit a bike rack to my car the day before I moved and then helped me secure the straps on my two beloved bikes, which survived the 750 mile journey south without budging.  The store's moto is "muscles not motors" and it is one I frequently repeat to myself when on the road.  
It seems the idea of a muscle-powered vehicle is something which many people aren't entirely comfortable with.  Most days when I get home from work, one of our neighbors is sitting on the front patio reading.  He is a sweet older gentleman who sometimes holds the door for me and frequently remarks "you need a motor on that thing".  And while his comment is always well-intentioned and delivered with a smile, it bugs me.  No, I do not need a motor on my bike, thankyouverymuch.  I like it specifically for it's lack of motor.  I like that I don't have to pay money to make it run nor is it emitting toxins into the air.  But what I really like is the fact that it takes the strength of my legs and the energy from my lungs to propel me forward (as well as the occasional downward sloping hill).  I'm not sitting back as a spectator in my transportation, I'm an active participant.  I like that my commute makes me legs stronger and more defined because of my muscle-powered bike versus my motor-powered option.  I know it's not for everyone, but I prefer my muscles, not motors.

No comments:

Post a Comment