Friday, July 29, 2011

On Bonking

It was on my ride home Monday when I bonked.  I was heading up the last hill in my neighborhood and suddenly it felt like all the energy had been sucked from my body.  My legs were jello, my lungs were on fire.  There was no good reason for this. I had eaten lunch, had water, and it wasn't terribly hot out.  But, for whatever reason, some combination of internal and external factors conspired against me and I BONKED.  So, I cranked my gears all the way down and made it up the hill in what I can only describe as a "trudging" manner (if one could "trudge" on two wheels). 
Bonking is also the best way I can describe what has happened to this blog in the last few weeks.  I bonked.  I could blame a multitude of external factors - massive heat and humidity, work, bike repairs, vacation - but ultimately it was likely some unidentified internal factor that was the true culprit.  I've been enjoying writing these pieces and constantly narrate future posts in my head during my rides but somehow every day when i got home I failed yet again to pick up my computer and write.  But, just like my Tuesday morning ride following Monday's bonk, I've recovered from my blogging bonk.

No comments:

Post a Comment