Monday, October 3, 2011

On Accessoriding

Blue Beauty
I never need much of an excuse to shop.  And while my shopping has decreased - or, more accurately, been directed at one particular event - in the past month, I still value the right accessories for every activity.  And one's commute is no exception (I imagine this is why things like driving shoes exist).  As my faithful readers will remember, my bike-to-work experiment began in the early summer months when long days and warm weather were the norm. Yes, there were rainy days, but that wasn't much cause for alarm or altered dress.  Then, my only real worry was an awesome pannier.  I only had two requirements: 1) It had to be waterproof and 2) it had to look like it belonged to a woman (and yes, a woman, not a 7 year old girl).  Thanks to a friend, I found this fantastic website with lots of great options.  The one I decided on has been perfect (pictured above on Blue Beauty).  As an added (vanity alert!) bonus, I've recieved multiple compliments on it from my fellow bike-commuters.  One guy even asked me for the website where I bought it so he could get it as a birthday gift for his wife while waiting at a very long red light. I also have a rockin' front basket that is perfect for my giant purse or an all-too-"green" trip to the hardware store to pick up our CSA share.

Now it's getting cooler and the days are getting shorter, meaning that the accessories needed for both me and my bike are changing.  With the days getting shorter, I frequently leave the house before it's light and get home again after dark.  I have a small front light, a decent blinky back light, and reflectors for my ankles.  But, I'm still in the market for a few additional lights - one to attach to the back of my helmet and one that provides some visibility off the handlebars so I can actually see where I'm going on those dark Georgetown streets.  I'm open to suggestions.  Anybody?

No comments:

Post a Comment